Can I use my WIC card in another state or do I need to transfer benefits?

Even if WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) is a nationwide program. Each state handles it independently. So it’s natural that if you’re a beneficiary, you might wonder if you can use your WIC card in another state or if you need to transfer benefits first.

The answer, as you’d guess, is that any WIC recipient who moves to another state or city across the country needs to request a transfer. Otherwise, you will not be able to continue receiving the economic subsidy.

Can I use the WIC card in another state?

Just as WIC places limitations on food purchases, so does WIC on location. Remember that the program is managed by zones, so you will not be able to use your WIC card in another state, since it is only accepted in stores that have local agreements with the agency.

The WIC card cannot be used in another state, and this is one of the main differences it has with the SNAP EBT card. Remember that the latter is admitted in any of the 50 states of the country. But do not worry! You have the right to request a transfer of benefits when you need it.

Through WIC transfers you will be able to move without problems and without losing the financial help you receive in terms of food. To do it, you just have to follow some general steps and meet the specific requirements requested by the agency of your new state.

For example, one of the things you should do before you move is inform your local agency of your plans. Think that, just by speaking with a representative, you will be able to obtain relevant information and some keys on how to complete the transfer successfully.

How can I transfer WIC card benefits from one state to another?

The first step, as we discussed, is to speak with a representative from your local agency and gather all the documents you will need to apply. Remember that the WIC agent will not be able to complete the transfer of benefits without proof of your identity, and this is just one of the many requirements you will need.

Another thing you have to do is find out if your destination state has a WIC office and where it is located. In any case, we are going to give you some keys immediately so that you can complete this procedure with ease:

Step 1: Let your local office know you want to move

The first thing you should do to transfer your WIC from one state to another is to ask for information at your current local agency. In this way, you will be able to obtain valuable data that will allow you to maintain your profits. That’s why the first step on the list is to contact a WIC agent or representative in your area.

In addition to giving you information, the agent will provide you with a transfer form that you must fill in for it to become effective, a ID card as a WIC recipient or a Certification Verification (VOC or Verification of Certification), everything will depend on the state in which you live.

Now, what are these credentials for? Mainly, to provide other agencies with information about the beneficiaries you receive and part of your history, that is, how your family is made up and any other relevant data. For example, pre-existing health conditions or special nutritional requirements. It will also reflect the date you have been receiving WIC benefits and your WIC ID number..

Therefore, the transfer form, card, or VOC is intended to inform out-of-state facilities that you are currently receiving WIC assistance. This document will help you complete your transfer successfully.

Step 2: Contact the WIC agency in your destination state

Now that you have your WIC transfer paperwork in your hands, you need to contact the WIC office in the state you plan to move to. Most states in the country have several offices, while others only have a couple of them. Do not hesitate to visit the official page of your state (“social assistance programs” section) to find out which one is closest to you.

As soon as you contact the representative of this new local agency, let them know you want to transfer your benefits from one state to another. Be sure to schedule an appointment to visit the facilities and deliver any documents you need to record.

Note: Few WIC offices allow you to complete this procedure online. Most of them require an appointment to complete the transfer.

Step 3: Gather your documents and prepare for your face-to-face appointment

The day of the appointment You will need to provide certain documentation., for example:

  • In some cases, a state photo identification card.
  • Other proof of identification, such as a passport or driver’s license.
  • The transfer form, the WIC or VOC transfer card.

Remember: Without a transfer form, transfer card, or VOC, it will be difficult to complete this task. That’s why it’s so important that you visit your old town’s WIC agency before you move. Think that it is precisely these credentials that will allow the agent to confirm that you still need financial aid.

Quick question, what if I don’t have the transfer form, card, or VOC?

Processing a transfer without any of these documents is not impossible, but, without a doubt, the procedure will be much slower. Why? In principle, because the new office will have to communicate with the first agency that qualified you as a beneficiary. This is the only way they will have to get your history. Although this data transfer could be fast, the truth is that in many cases it is not. In fact, it may take several days to complete.

Step 4: Wait for confirmation of transfer of benefits from the WIC card in the other state

The WIC representative will review your history and will notify you if your application has been approved, but this will only happen if you provided the necessary documentation. If for any reason the agency cannot determine your eligibility for the program (and therefore approve the transfer) you will need to attend a certification appointment. This procedure will be very similar to the one you completed the first time you applied for WIC benefits.

Step 5: Receive the money transfer and buy your food

Once the office has all the information it needs to verify that you meet the eligibility criteria, will be responsible for completing the transfer and payment of the subsidy or financial aid. At this point, the WIC representative will re-inform you of your rights as a beneficiary and the responsibilities you take on by collecting benefits.

The agency will also give you a list with the city ​​shops where you can shop -since you’ve just moved and aren’t familiar with businesses in the new state- and will show you the various care programs and workshops on breastfeeding and nutrition.

As for the WIC card (or WIC coupons) you may be able to use the same ones you have, but this will depend on the state. Some go through a simple process to get your card accepted at local WIC-certified stores, while others prefer to hand out a new card.

Note: To avoid problems, be sure to ask the agency if you can use your WIC card in that other state.

Do I need to change my WIC if I move to another city?

Although it seems incredible, the truth is that it is. If you move to another city and there is a different WIC agency than the one you originally selected, you will have to do the transfer procedure once more. The steps are very similar to those for interstate transfers:

  1. Inform the current agency that you are moving.
  2. Request the transfer papers, complete a form, etc.
  3. Contact the new agency in the city you are moving to.
  4. Submit the documentation, proof of identity and attend the appointment at the agency.
  5. Wait for the approval of the transfer and ask if your card is valid in the state.
  6. Request the list of stores and affiliated businesses where you can buy food.

Also, when you visit the new offices, you will need to provide the agent with certain details about your family, like your new home address, for example. For more details on how to complete a transfer of your WIC card to another state or city, feel free to visit the official website of social aid of the United States or your state’s website.

Keep reading: