CalWORKs is a public assistance program that seeks to help families overcome a difficult situation. In itself, the program is responsible for delivering an economic benefit so that those who qualify can buy food, pay rent, access public services, renew clothing (especially in the winter months) or cover the cost of medical care.
If your family has little money available and needs help, you may be eligible for CalWORKs. The amount of the benefit will largely depend on the number of people in the family and their needs.
In California, heavier qualification weight for CalWORKs falls on several factors, such as the amount of the annual household income, the age of the family members, the stability of their source of income, the unemployment status of the applicants, whether or not they have minor children or dependents, among others.
What is the CalWORKs Program?
CalWORKs works in all 58 California counties. Those interested can go to social assistance offices to find information about the program. There they will receive help to complete the necessary forms.
In certain cases, families can ask for immediate help, at least whenever their financial situation is critical. This way, they could get emergency cash to keep their home, buy food or pay utility bills.
CalWORKs belongs to TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), also known as the Temporary Assistance Program for Needy Families.
How do I know if I qualify for CalWORKs?
The requirements to receive CalWORKS are:
- To be Americanto be a foreigner resident in the country (as long as you have lived in the United States for five years or more) or be refugee (no limitation).
- Have one or more children in dependent care, either because their parents have died or become incapacitated for their care.
- Families of fathers and mothers with children, single mothers and single parents; provided that the applicant is temporarily unemployed.
The pregnant women they can also qualify for CalWORKs. If you want to know if you are eligible to receive the benefit, you can fill in the small online test that appears on the official page of the California program.
How to apply for CalWORKs?
Creating an account on the corresponding website is not the same as submitting an application. After creating their account, the family will need to log in and go to the “applications” section in order to submit your application.
The second way to apply for CalWORKs is to contact or visit the social services agency closest to your home. you can find the complete list of agencies that accept the CalWORKs application at this link.
The third way to apply for CalWORKs is through the CSC call center. You can contact them through the following telephone number: 866-613-3777. In this case, the social agency closest to your town will send you the form by post so you can complete your application.
Note: If you have children and need help paying for child care services, you can do so with CalWORKs, at least as long as you’re eligible. Program child care is provided until the child is 12 years old and, in the case of children with disabilities, until 21 years of age. However, in order to receive this help, you will need to complete an additional application. Contact your county social agency for more information.
What do you need to apply for CalWORKs?
In order to submit your application, you will need to have some documents on hand, among them:
- A proof of residency from the state of California. It could be a state-issued photo ID or a utility bill, for example. The payment of state taxes also works.
- Identification of all family members. In the case of children, birth certificates will also be needed.
- A Social Security number or proof that you have already applied for one and that it is in process.
- Proof of income. They can be payment slips, bank statements, among others.
Generally, applicants should have less than $10,000 in your bank account, although this amount could increase depending on certain conditions. For example, people who are disabled or over 60 years of age can have up to $15,000.